A major programme of works with a funding of £2.3 million has been granted to the council this week by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority for five schemes to reduce congestion in St Ives and improve access to the town centre.
The five schemes includes:
1. St Ives Town Centre – Introduction of a 20 mph speed limit across the town centre. Road widening at the Ramsey Road/North Road, Globe Place/North Road/Broad Leas and Globe Place/West Street/East Street junctions Changes to on-street parking restrictions to reduce illegal and inconsiderate parking A focus on reducing congestion pinch points in the town centre, rat running and improving bus access.
2. Silvaco West Roundabout and Needingworth Road – including the replacement of the roundabout at the A1123 St Audrey Lane/B1040 Somersham Road junction with traffic signals and a right-turn ban for all traffic from Needingworth Road onto A1123 St Audrey Lane.
3. Bus Stop Improvements including 22 priority bus stops.
4. Walking and Cycling Signage Improvements – 41 new signs and removal of redundant infrastructure
5. Non-Motorised User (NMU) Routes Development Study – Scoping and developing a network of active travel routes in and around St Ives
The feasibility studies for the five projects are to begin in May with an initial timeline for the first four schemes to be delivered by March 2024. For more information, visit here.