To encourage walking and cycling across Cambridgeshire, lower speed limits will be put in place as well as restrictions on vehicles in the county. This is in addition to more cycle lanes and is set to be delivered in the coming months. The schemes will be delivered in two parts. The first part of the Tranche 2 delivery programme, to be delivered between now and August, includes the following active travel schemes:
- A permanent change of priority in Silver Street/King’s Parade to improve cycle and pedestrian safety;
- Reduced traffic lanes, restrictions to through-vehicles in Chesterton;
- New sections of protected cycle lanes on East Road and Cowley Road;
- Lower speed limits in Bassingbourn; and
- Introduction of two-way cycling in Huntingdon.
The schemes will be installed temporarily for up to 18 months. The decision to make a scheme permanent will follow a formal decision-making process. For more information, please visit here.